[Twisted-Python] To twisted.web beginners: don't use RPYs

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Jun 23 18:26:11 EDT 2003

On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 03:58 PM, Abe Fettig wrote:

>> app.listenTCP is going to be deprecated, not reactor.listenTCP. And
>> yes,
>> app.listenTCP is a bad idea.
>
> Well, then, in the spirit of Twisted Best Practices, what is the
> preferred way to listen on a port within the context of an application?

There isn't one, yet.  Itamar is talking about a deprecation that will
happen as part of a more central refactoring of Application, that will
clean up lots of cruft.  When this happens, the deprecation warnings
for Application.listenTCP will be very clear on what it should be
migrated to :-).  For the moment, continue using app.listenTCP as
usual.  (You can see an earlier thread where I responded to Moshe's
suggestion for refactoring Application for more details.)

Unfortunately our design skills have really been outpacing our
implementation speed lately.  I'm sorry for the divergence in "what
will be the right thing" and "what is currently a working thing" that
this creates.  Luckily at least newcred is mostly done now :)