[Twisted-Python] Patch for twisted.protocols.nntp

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Mon Jun 23 02:11:35 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 05:14:24PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Since "suck" doesn't work for me for a variety of reasons, I decided to
> replace it with a solution based on twisted.protocol.nntp. After a few hours
> of hacking, I now have a nice program which nicely saturates my downlink
> bandwidth. ;-)

  Cool!

> To make a long story short, the attached patch implements the changes and
> fixes I needed to actually get there.
>
> The "Allow the article text to be a callable or deferred" change implements
> the common situation where I ask server B whether it would like to be fed
> article X before actually pulling that article from server A, and/or where
> the pull is still in progress.

  Hmm, this is the only part of the patch I am unsure about.  The API seems
a little too tuned to your use-case.  I think the way to go for this would
be to have a Producer passed in and make the NNTP protocol a Consumer
for that (in turn acting as a Producer for its transport object).  Would you
be willing to make this change? (If you need an example of how this might
work, check out smtp.py)

> There is one somewhat- incompatible change here, in that I return the GROUP
> results (article count, high and low numbers) as integers, not as text. In
> practice they're going to be int()ized anyway, so this should not be a
> problem.

  I think this is fine.

> # twisted/protocols/nntp.py
> #     Fixes for news gateways / 'suck'-style operation / INN as server:
> #     - The client uses \n and does NOT esacpe start-of-line dots.
> #       The server uses \r\n and escapes dots ONCE, not twice (ouch).
> #     - POST temporarily blocks streaming. Make sure this is observed,
> #       pass a Deferred out for clients to restart themselves with
> #     - Add a command to allow MODE READER
> #     - Allow bare reply numbers without text
> #     - Allow the article text to be a callable or a deferred
> #     - use CHECK/TAKETHIS if there's a message ID
> #     - return group article numbers (GROUP reply) as numbers
> #     - Clean up article linefeed handling
> # twisted/test/test_nntp.py
> #     Make sure that dot escapes are passed cleanly.
> #     Make sure that no empty lines are added at the end.
> #     Use the unittest object for checking.
> #     Use client-side line endings for the client,
> #       assume that the server side is transparent.
> #     Make sure that the test doesn't just peter out halfway through.
> #     Remove the commented-out iterate() calls.
> #       loopback() already does the work for us.

  Thanks for these test fixes/cleanups, too.

  Jp

--
In the days when Sussman was a novice Minsky once came to him as he sat
hacking at the PDP-6. "What are you doing?" asked Minsky. "I am training a