[Twisted-Python] Re: Concern over "relentless hyping" (was Twisted - howto transport megabytes?)

Van Gale news at exultants.org
Sun Jun 8 17:58:59 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:
> I received the following message in private (I assume) email after
> my last post to the newsgroup.  Comments are welcome, preferably
> public ones (merely because I consider private discussions about
> this kind of thing to be a severe waste of my limited time).
>
> Am I over-hyping Twisted?  Am I over-publicizing my satisfaction?
> Is anyone over-hyping it?  Is there a maximum acceptable target level
> of hype?

I'm not sure why someone would send such a message.  Clearly "word of
mouth" is the best marketing for open-source projects.  On top of that I
don't want to invest time learning and using a major framework unless I
know it's going to be around a while and has support.  An active
community that can respond in mailing lists and newsgroups sends a
signal, to me at least, that the project is serious and I won't be left
hung out to dry.

Having said that, at some point a project probably gains enough momentum
that it no longer needs evangelists.  Twisted *might* be at this stage
as evidenced by newbish type questions appearing on c.l.py recently, but
just answering those questions in a simple, straightforward way is great
marketing in itself.

Van Gale