[Twisted-Python] Hep and Twisted (Was: Twisted-webserver hangs when serving big files)

Abe Fettig abe at fettig.net
Tue Jun 10 02:18:07 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 21:07, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 01:35 PM, Abe Fettig wrote:
> > * The web server: The current code is Hep CVS is an excellent example
> > of
> > what happens when you write Twisted.web code without understanding how
> > Resources work.
>
> Yup.  That seems to be the case.
>
> > Please refrain from commenting on just how bad it is -
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist.
>
> OMG IT IS SO BAD LOLOLOLOL

Actually it feels good to get that out of the way... :)

> > * Users and authentication:  I have a vague idea that I should be using
> > Perspectives and/or Cred for authenticating users and accessing user
> > data.  Currently each server in Hep does the work of authentication and
> > setting up user access.  It would be nice to have this centralized, so
> > you could (for example) see which users are currently connected to Hep.
>
> Itamar and my aforementioned rewrite will help you with this.  Stall
> this a few weeks, and there should be good documentation on how to do
> it.

OK, I'll leave the authentication stuff as-is for now, besides maybe
putting it into a simple service.

> Sounds like a good laundry list.  I would be interested to know where
> and if you hit any snags, even if you get past them on your own - I'd
> love to see a paper or something about this.  It would really be nice
> to show to other application authors who are struggling with the same
> sort of issues.  I even have a tentative title - "Submitting to the
> hive mind for fun and profit - making your project Twisted-friendly
> even though you don't want to".  What do you think? :)

That sounds like an excellent idea.  I'll try to post frequently to my
weblog throughout this process, in hopes it will be useful to others
down the road.

Abe