[Twisted-Python] HTTP versions

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamar at itamarst.org
Sun Jun 1 18:40:23 EDT 2003

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 16:27:38 -0600
Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:

> While the Twisted code will work for more real-life cases, it isn't
> RFC compliant.  Also, the server accepts any sort of version string,
> including
> "QWE/1.2".  It should send an error 400, "Bad request version".

I don't really care about this, working with real life code is more
important. But if you send me a patch I'll accept it.

> I noticed that the headers parsing assumes unique names, with
>
>          self.requests[-1].received_headers[header] = data

This is indeed a problem. I had a patch that solved it, but had to back
it out. Sooner or later it will be reintroduced.

> Therefore, suppose I were to work on a replacement module for the
> http server parsing code, one which assumes 2.3 code (eg, for
> datetime parsing).  What else needs to be done to update that
> module?

Twisted depends on 2.2. If you want code to be added to Twisted, it'll
have to require 2.2 only. We also ned backwards compatability with
existing code. Most of the problems you mentioned can be solved with
only a little work using the existing codebase.

Probably what you should do is write a series of patches and send them
to me. They'll have to be backwards compatible, have tests and work on
2.2 in order to be accepted.

--
Itamar Shtull-Trauring    http://itamarst.org/
http://www.zoteca.com -- Python & Twisted consulting