[Twisted-Python] Re: In Defense of Taps

Federico Di Gregorio fog at initd.org
Wed Feb 12 16:38:04 MST 2003

Il mer, 2003-02-12 alle 23:43, screwtape at froup.com ha scritto:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 03:43:25PM -0000, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> > I encourage the "newbies" on the list to speak up: what are *you* planning
> > to do with Twisted, and which documents would help you with that.
>
> OK, despite already having submitted patches that were applied to CVS,
> I think I still qualify as a Twisted newbie. :)

eheh. same here. i started using twisted about 10 days ago when i needed
to replace my own system of RPC and object serialization and passing
with an upgraded version of it or something different. i choosed
something different (twisted).

i started by ignoring *everything* with the word 'tap' in it, mainly
because i found the terms 'tap' and 'http server' togheter two times and
was looking for something different. i also completely ignored coil.

using basic PB (no authentication, yes jellification of classes) was
easy with the tutorial (about 8h, gtk2reactor fixing included) but
switching to cred was much more difficult. the documentation was not
enough to write my first app authenticating the users vs a database and
providing different perspectives to them (about 2 days).

right now we are using twisted for two "work" projects and we plan to
integrate in it a port of our previous product (easy, transactional db
access on server side and automatic binding of objects to the gui client
side, more on that if you people are interested.)

maybe i am a little biased by the fact that our previous framework was
very similar to PB, but i don't think people approaching twisted are
interested in yet another http/irc/xxx server (w/ or w/o TAPS.)
more on the "framework" side, to develop applications or custom
protocols.

my 0.02$
federico

--