[Twisted-web] Using Cheetah with twisted.web

Todd Thomas caliban19 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 13:33:57 MST 2006

On 2/18/06, Todd Thomas <caliban19 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/15/06, Matt Helm <code.name.eric at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2/14/06, L. Daniel Burr <ldanielburr at mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Probably.  Rendering your template in this way will most certainly
> > block
> > > the reactor, since Cheetah templates don't support Deferreds.  On the
> > > other hand, if the template is rendering *very* quickly, then this
> > code
> > > might not block for long enough to actually matter.
> >
> > That is what I suspected. I will call the Cheetah template in
> > deferToThread.
> >
> > Matt.

> Why not just compile your template at the head of the file using,
> Template.compile(file="path"). I did some experimentation with this, and
> it is very fast. Only time I could see where deferred would be useful is
> when you are compiling it initially, if you precompile your templates and
> dont call any blocking functions within it, it will be more than fast
> enough.
>
> ToddB

One other thing, rpy will automatically cache the instance you create if its
in your resource class. Which means you will only take the hit once when
initially creating class. So it may block briefly depending on size of
template, but afterwards, should be as fast as calling request.write on a
class directly, which is basically what your are doing.

ToddB