[Twisted-web] Twisted and WSDL

L. Daniel Burr ldanielburr at mac.com
Tue Feb 14 11:01:19 MST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:59:49 -0600, C Wegrzyn <lists at garbagedump.com>
wrote:

> Hello. I am just getting started with Twisted and I must say it is a
> very nice package! I am trying to write a SOAP application (server side).

You have my sympathies.  Seriously, unless you really have to write a SOAP
application, please don't.  SOAP is totally unnecessary for web services,
despite what corporations and large technology firms claim.

Ok, now that I've made my token attempt to save you from committing to
crappy technology, on to your actual question.

> In the C/C++ I would use gSOAP to take a WSDL and generate the support
> libraries. What I like about Twisted is that introspection is available
> to make this, more or less, automatic. I searched around trying to find
> an example of using a WSDL file along with Twisted so that I would only
> need to write the supporting functions. I found nothing very useful. I
> am wondering if anyone can give me some pointers to using WSDL under
> Twisted (I know something of SOAPpy but I am not sure I can use it
> directly under Twisted).

There is only one WSDL library that I am aware of, and it is available as
part of the pywebsvcs project.  The same place where you got SOAPpy,
actually, so you most likely already have it.  You will have to do a fair
amount of work to integrate all of that auto-generated gobbledygook with
twisted, up to and including replacing the network communications portion
of said auto-generated code.

Others here with more positive views on WSDL and friends may give you a
more optimistic answer, and after all, the problem does just boil down to
a Simple Matter of Programming.  Then again, you want all this
auto-generated code in order to avoid programming, right?  Catch-22.

Hope this helps,

L. Daniel Burr