[Twisted-Python] Some suggestions

Itamar twisted at itamarst.org
Thu Aug 9 20:11:00 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I spent some time on my 11 hour flight to the US porting my servers to
twisted, and here's what I've come up with so far:

0) Twisted is very cool.

1) Pickle on save should be optional.
One of my objects is unpicklable, so every time I shutdown I get an
exception. You could say I should rewrite, but I feel developing a
server should not have to support all kinds of extra features that
twisted provides. Obviously it'd be nice to have them, but it's one more
thing you have to learn up front that isn't really necessary.

2) Why is the number of clients that socket.listen() queues hard-coded
to 5? this should be an option.

3) If writing to a connection and closing a connection are thread safe
then writing threaded servers is trivial. I'll try to write some patches
that don't slow down the default non-threaded code tommorow.  Again,
rewriting my code from scratch as event driven is a waste of a time - I
might do it someday, but I want working code now.

4) I'll submit a working twisted.internet.ssl after I do (3).

5) More docstrings!

And if this an HTML email it's Mozilla's fault, not mine.